You want to write a book that keeps readers turning pages late into the night.
Except, how do you go from the mess of words on your computer to a book that readers can't put down?
Finish Your Novel is a service that gives writers a step-by-step process for writing a novel that readers love.
With Finish Your Novel, you won’t just create a book that gets read, you'll write a story that gets recommended and shared.
- Wish you had a start to finish process for writing a novel...
- Know something is missing from your manuscript, but aren’t sure where to find the missing link...
- Want to smack all the people that have given you vague advice like “Write what you know!”, “Show, don’t tell”...
- Have a manuscript that you’ve been toying with for years, but just can’t seem to get right...
- Worry about self-publishing a book that you know could be better...
- Fear a pile of rejection letters from agents saying things like “Your story just didn’t grab me.”...
- Know you need help applying storytelling fundamentals or using Story Grid principles...
- Wake up sweaty, late at night, wondering if you’re ever gonna become a published author...
Or maybe you’re an optimist...
Imagining the day your book is published and you watch the 4- and 5-star Amazon reviews start to come in. Picturing how satisfied you’ll feel when you get first email from a fan asking when your next novel comes out. Savoring the thought of touching the lives of readers around the world with your story.
- Publishing your novel was a career turning point - the first step to making your dreams of becoming a full-time writer come true?
- You had so many agents and editors interested in your novel that there was a bidding war over your book?
- Other writers started asking you for advice because they wanted to write a book as good as yours?
With Finish Your Novel you will learn to write
- Scenes that make readers say What happens next???! using the Five Commandments of Storytelling
- Sequences that keep readers turning pages through the use of set-ups and payoffs
- Killer plot twists that even genre superfans don’t see coming
- Compelling characters forced to make heart-wrenching choices that make readers gasp, cry, or shout
- Books that get positive reviews because they abide by your genre’s conventions
- Novels that satisfy genre fans because they include obligatory scenes
- Books that readers recommend to their friends because they nail the ONE most critical scene for your genre
How Finish Your Novel Works
Finish Your Novel is a six-month long service with designed to help writers go from a mess of a first draft to a 70-100k word manuscript suitable for self-publishing or querying literary agents who work with traditional publishers.
(For genres like middle grade fiction with word counts of 50k or less, Finish Your Novel comes as a three-month service.)
Finish Your Novel Breakdown
Prior to our first call, you'll complete the pre-work and submit your existing scenes and manuscript for evaluation.
Pre-work is a set of questions that will help us get clear about what genre your story fits into and identify what readers will expect from your book. My evaluation of your existing scenes or manuscript will help us see how best to build on what you’ve already written.
In our first one hour editorial feedback call, we’ll discuss your submitted scenes and the genre for your story. At the end of every call, you’ll receive a homework assignment that you will complete and send to me prior to our next call.
Depending on your chosen genre, your story, and your writing experience, your assignment may include reviewing cheat sheets that outline key conventions and scenes in your genre, reviewing scenes from a masterwork novel or movie, or listening to a podcast episode or reading a blog post covering a fundamental concept of storytelling.
Calls Two through Twenty-Three
In our next few calls, we’ll work on your global story. What’s the tragic lie that your main characters are telling themselves? What’s the lesson that the hero needs to learn from beginning to end of the story? What are the forces that keep the lovers apart and bring them together?
(If your palms are sweating because that last paragraph sounds too much like plotting, just know that I’ve got ways of making this work for pantsers as well as plotters.)
Once we know where your story starts and ends, we’ll refine your scenes so readers say What happens next???! And make sure that the tension keeps building over the course of the story so that readers keep turning pages.
In our final call, we'll review your scene from the previous call and discuss next steps. If this is the end of our time working together, you’ll receive a Next Steps Recommendation Letter that outlines a step-by-step plan for continuing to make progress towards a completed novel with recommended resources on writing, publishing, and marketing.
Finish Your Novel Recap
Finish a full-length novel of 70-100k words.
- First Call
- Calls #2-#23
- Final Call (Call #24)
Finish Your Novel: Investment
Includes (24) twenty-four calls, an evaluation of your existing manuscript (limit: 100k words), a Next Steps Recommendation letter.
Finish your full-length romance, thriller, action-adventure, western, fantasy, scifi, or young adult novel with a final word count of 70-100k words.
Includes (12) 12 calls and an evaluation of your existing manuscript (limit: 50k words), and a Next Steps Recommendation letter. Finish a middle grade fiction novel or a novella with a final word count of 30-50k words.
Finish Your Novel is a unique service that gives novelists a step-by-step process to master fundamental storytelling principles necessary to completing a debut novel, without decades of frustration and repeatedly banging your head against the wall.
If you’re one of the motivated authors who’s been desperately seeking the magical formula or missing link to writing a book that readers can’t put down and agents want to represent apply for Finish Your Novel today.